Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Whew...

I don't like this much. PUT ME BACK!!!

Well. I should start that I'm a numbers person. Not into all this word stuff. But I'm thinking it will be easier to update everyone on my little miracle this way.

It's been an entertaining week. Last week at this time I knew I would have my son the 15th (today, ironically). This was because he was so tiny & when you have gestational diabetes your baby is rarely tiny.

Then on Wednesday we discovered some of my blood work was off so we bumped up the induction to Saturday.

Duncan had other plans. My water broke around 7 on the 9th. So we were off to the hospital :) By 1 am, I decided that while I could totally handle the labor pain, I knew it would exhaust me by the time I needed to push. Enter the wonderful anesthesiologist. He got me all numbed up & Aaron & I tried to rest.

Around 3 am, the nurse came in to tell us Duncan wasn't tolerating labor. With every contraction his breathing slowed. Not to critical levels but we needed to get him out as soon as possible. So I had an emergency C-section & my little miracle was born at 3:50 am :)

Unfortunately, he was sort of stuck & had to pretty much be yanked out. So he was purple when he came out (which made the NICU staff very nervous). But he started breathing and Aaron got a few pictures. Then I got to give him a kiss & he was rushed to the NICU with his daddy. I didn't get to see him until around 9 am. Needless to say I was NOT a happy momma.

But he's now doing pretty good, all things considered. He's super tiny - only 14 pounds, 14.1 ounces (he's gained .1 ounces!!!!). But he was born at 37 weeks, 2 days so he's technically not a preemie. But close. He has to make several milestones before we get to bring him home: Maintain his body temperature. Gain weight. Feed from me or a bottle for 48 hours.

They took him off the temperature regulator bed today. He's doing well so far. He's gaining weight. We're working on feeding. Side note: it's hysterical to both Aaron & I that a child of ours has feeding issues...

Today Duncan did really well at his 9 am feeding. He successfully latched on both sides and seemed to eat well. He also finished most of his bottle. Which completely tuckered him out & he was fast asleep for his noon feeding. So he got that through his nose tube & I got to snuggle him. We take the afternoon off to get some rest between 1 & 4:3O or so. Then back for the 6 & 9 o'clock feedings, unless we're completely wiped out then we only stay for the 6. He did pretty well at tonight's 6 o'clock feeding. Not as good as this morning but there was still positive progress forward. He's also jaundiced so he's chillin' at Club NICU. Hopefully we'll find out on Wednesday if his levels are down enough to get off the lights.

We met with the occupational therapist this evening. His foot & leg reactions are great. We need to work on his arms. This is totally normal for early babies. He also has a good sucking reflex. Oh and he passed his hearing test in 2:43 - the fastest the tester had ever seen a NICU baby pass :) My little overachiever!!!

I'm going to try & update this as often as possible. I'll also try & figure out how to post some pictures so you can all see how much better he looks. He's a very handsome guy! :)
First family photo

Momma & Duncan

Daddy & Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment