Sunday, August 1, 2010

12 Years

Bath time!!
I love my bath. And my daddy.
I am clean and I am tired.
Today is our 12th anniversary. It's been an awesome ride! I can't wait to see what the future brings for us :)

It's funny. When we were first married, we agreed we wouldn't discuss kids for 5 years. That way we had time to get to know each other and do things together that we wouldn't be able to do with kids.

After 5 years, we decided kids weren't in the cards. We enjoyed our life together and didn't want or need kids. We enjoyed traveling together and hanging out together and just being with each other.

After 9 years, we reconsidered. We wanted to have a child. So we started trying. For 2 years we tried. No luck. After 18 months we finally went to the doctor. Found out I have PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome). That means the walls of my ovaries were thickened because of too much insulin. I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic, just too much insulin. So I went on meds to get my insulin under control and 3 months later we were pregnant!!!

We waited until Christmas to tell people, just in case. Fortunately, the first trimester ended right then so we knew were probably in the clear safety wise.

And just about 8 weeks ago, we had Duncan and our lives have been forever changed. I can't figure out why we didn't do this sooner. Granted, I don't think I would have been able to deal with the NICU if I was younger. I know I wasn't strong enough. But now, I wouldn't trade my Wiggly-boo for the world!!

Today was quiet. We just hung out, did laundry, bathed the baby. Nothing too exciting. It was a really nice, very peaceful day. Perfect way to spend our anniversary. Plus we had leftover pizza for our anniversary dinner. I know it sounds (reads???) weird but it was a lovely meal :)

And now, off to put a tired baby to bed.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you guys! As Jane says, life is a roller coaster. You have another 12 years of crazy and then just in time for your 25th, you'll have a teenager on your hands!! But seriously, this post made me cry. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Carly said, I was teary when I read this post. So happy for you all! XO, Jane

    ReplyDelete