Friday, July 2, 2010

Better


I only get a binky if I have the hiccups or am getting a feed through the nose tube. Therefore, I am holding on to it so Momma can't take it from me.
Word to all my peeps??


My Momma loves to take video of me with the hiccups. Seriously Momma! I do so many other cute things...but too quickly for the camera :)

Today was a much better day when the doctor came in. Duncan did well, at least 30 ml eaten at each feeding time, yesterday and this morning. His poo has firmed up (did I ever mention that? the child had the foulest smelling, super watery poos. They took me off dairy which didn't help. finally we took him off all the additives and formulas which were being added to thicken the milk because he has reflux. Interestingly, the HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP they were using to thicken the milk made him sick!!!! Aaron & I were absolutely flabbergasted at what they use to increase calories & thicken breast milk. But now he's on straight breast milk and is doing really really well). He is gaining weight as well or better than when he was on the formula/thickener, etc mix. The doctor was really pleased and didn't change a thing! She thinks he might be getting his sea legs and is getting this :) We also changed from a low-flow nipple to a "regular" nipple that allows more to come through quicker. He ate his 55 ml (more than what he needed) in about 20 minutes. With the previous nipple it took about 30. That gave me time to cuddle him for a while because we need to keep his feeding and care to about 45 minutes or an hour so he gets rest.

We also changed beds today. Duncan is no longer living in a bucket...he has a big boy crib! The new crib also has a slightly higher incline which will help decrease the reflux. Plus it's easier to kiss him because he's right a kissing level for his Momma :)
My big boy bed - I don't sleep in a bucket anymore!

Aaron & I wanted to have Duncan home by now but both of us realize we couldn't care for him as he needs cared for. It's very, very difficult to leave him but we know he's loved by his nurses. He has them wrapped around his little fingers.

Oh and the best news! Duncan has now gained over a pound from his birth weight!!! He started life at 4 pounds, 14 ounces and, as of last night, weighs 5 pounds 14.6 ounces!!!! I love his double chin and his chubby cheeks and his cute belly. He's almost the size of a "normal" baby.

Again, Aaron & I truly appreciate the warm wishes, prayers and kindness people have sent our way via calls, emails and this blog. We cannot express how grateful we are to you. This has been an unplanned journey with so many curves we're beyond dizzy. All of you have been so wonderful and we love you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment