Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Momzilla

Aaron occasionally calls me "Momzilla." I can't imagine why. LOL. Today it came in handy.

Our regular doctor has the day off. Yesterday she was off, too, but we had a different sub (one we'd had before). Today, Duncan's original doctor was back. The neonatology group works at both Deaconess and Sacred Heart so a couple of the doctors switch monthly. Anyway...yesterday's doctor hadn't charted about us going home with an apnea monitor or that he was totally okay with us going home. Duncan had a minor brady this morning and the doc wanted to keep Duncan in hospital for another few days. That was not what we wanted to hear. And since this doctor doesn't know us like our regular doctor does, she didn't really listen to the nurse who does know us. Believe me, the nurse fought for us!

But once the doctor came in & talked to us, she was more okay with us bringing Duncan home. She explained the pros & cons of the monitor. I told her that we were using the monitor as a secondary means to make sure he's okay, especially when he's asleep. I told her that Duncan will be sleeping in our room next to our bed and that we'd hear him, regardless of the monitor. We want the monitor to try & make sure he doesn't have an attack while sleeping that we miss. We admit we're probably overly paranoid but I don't care. I believe the monitor is medically necessary. The doctor agreed.

So they've ordered the monitor and we'll be trained on it tomorrow. We're likely rooming in tomorrow night. Possibly Thursday. But we're still close! (and it may be Friday or Saturday, depending on what the doctor says. but I'm still hopeful!!!)

Feeding-wise, Duncan is now on his on schedule. They try to keep babies on 3 or 4 hour schedules, depending on needs. Duncan transitioned himself to 4 hour feeds and is taking between 80 and 100 ml per feeding. Which is totally awesome!! Especially since he's still gaining weight. He's up to 6 pounds, 8.8 ounces.

The dietitian came in today to talk about breast milk storage, etc. She told me she wants to take Duncan home :) She thinks he's pretty cute. I can't disagree!

Aaron & I will pack our bags tomorrow & will be ready for rooming in tomorrow night. We have a couple DVD's ready since it's really boring and their cable stinks. (it was so bad we watched the Stanley Cup final while I was in labor...because the Food Network when you can't eat is just plain mean)

Keep fingers crossed all goes well!!!! I know I am :)

3 comments:

  1. You go momzilla - another couple of days and he will be home for good! You keep him safe and let me know when (not if!!) you need anything!

    Love

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my fingers crossed for 5 weeks now. I hope this is it! And the monitor isn't difficult, and I agree it's necessary too. My son came home on one after his own 5 week stint in the NICU. (Weird timing, huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! Go Momzilla! I am SO thrilled for you all. Ditto what Nancy said when, not if you need anything give a shout and don't you be shy about it.
    Love you,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete