Monday, July 5, 2010

Duncan does a forehead wrinkle just like his daddy
Okay, this is so cute it doesn't need a caption
Look at me!!! I'm over 6 pounds!! and I'm tired.
Thank goodness - Duncan is doing much better. Whatever was griping in his belly passed and he was able to do all the normal stuff without screaming. (Someday, he may read this blog and I will be in serious trouble for talking about his poo, etc...) Hopefully he's past the worst of it.

Well, he was. This morning Mighty D was back to usual happy self. We are very, very relieved.

Duncan only gained 10 grams yesterday because he used all the food energy being upset but he is now, officially, a member of the 6 pound club!!!! He weighs 6 pounds, .1 ounce :) He got a certificate from his nurse, too! I didn't take a picture yet...totally spaced it.

He did really well on his feeding this morning - he ate from me for about 15 minutes and from the bottle for a full 30 or 35 ml. He was also awake and playing after eating for about 30 minutes. That's actually a good thing because it means he's getting more energy and is getting ready to do more feedings in a row! We have a meeting with the occupational therapy group tomorrow (either Jo or Margaret - I don't know because their schedules are weird from the holiday). It'll be great for them to see the difference in Duncan from last week to this week. He's doing so much better!

Side note - the small world of Spokane continues to make me giggle. Jo is the wife of Dan who I worked with for 8 years and worked directly with for 2 or 3. I really love that she's working with us because she already knew us :)

Aaron & I are heading to the ballpark tonight for the first time this year. I printed out some pictures of Duncan...we're only staying until 8:30 or so because I need to be at the hospital to breastfeed at 9. But we're getting out. The nurses were very excited we're getting out & "living". I'm ready to go. I think. I took a nap today. Well, several. I'm going to pump right before we leave so there is plenty of milk for my little guy for tonight and tomorrow. We can do this!!

And hopefully we'll be able to take Duncan to games soon. He'll be literally attached to me in a Moby wrap because we can't have him passed around due to germs. Yes, I thought that whole "keep the baby away from crowds" was an old wives tale but when you think about it, it's really not. Duncan is accustomed to our germs. We've been around him and his immune system is ready for us. Because he's so tiny, he doesn't have the strength to fight the rest of the world's germs. So we'll keep him close for a while.

I never thought this was how I would spend 4 weeks of my maternity leave. Right now, I'll only have 4 weeks or so once Duncan is out to spend with him. Don't get me wrong - I love that I've got a job and have leave enough to be with him. But I wanted to spend it with him here at the house. Eating and playing and napping. Fortunately, Aaron & my schedules will make it so he doesn't have to go to daycare. We are so blessed by that!!!! Aaron was able to change his schedule to work all evenings and I can go to work at 5 am til 1:30 so he gets to work on time. I don't think I could leave him in daycare after these past 4 weeks. Leaving him with Daddy is much better :)


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you decided to go to the game tonight! I know how hard it is to leave someone you love but trust me, you will all be better for it!

    I'm so excited that the Mighty D is over 6 pounds! At this rate he is going to be home with you before you know it!

    Love

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy things are getting better for you guys! Funny how these little people have a way of changing anything you thought you knew and any plans you tried to make :) Hope you had fun at the game.

    Cousin Julie :)

    ReplyDelete