Monday, July 19, 2010

Well, that explains a lot

In all the books I read before I had Duncan, none of them mentioned how much babies talk in their sleep! The first couple nights I was awakened by every squeak, gurgle, grunt and yelp. Now I've gotten better and know which ones mean "Wake up, Momma!!! I need you!"

But the child chatters (of sorts) every single morning for about an hour. Which is good because I know I have about an hour of sleep left. Usually.

Last night, we gave Duncan his first bath at home. There are no pictures because it took both of us to support each other & get him bathed :) We all survived.

Duncan also let us sleep from 3 am until 7:30 today! We were quite pleased, to say the least!!

This next part is a bit more difficult to write about. But I know I need to because a) it's healthy and recommended and b) it may help someone who reads this blog.

I have postpartum depression. It's probably been going on for several weeks but I didn't realize it because I had a mission: get Duncan home. The morning we came home I was violently ill which I chalked up to nerves. After all, I'd never actually been his primary caregiver. But then my stomach and GI issues continued. Friday I again chalked it up to nerves. But then I started reading and thinking about it and talked with Aaron. From what I read, extreme anxiety is a definite sign of postpartum depression. Plus I'd couldn't really eat much unless I forced myself because I was so nauseated.

So today I called my doctor to ask for help. Damn difficult for me to do but I knew I couldn't get over it on my own. She had me do the questionnaire over the phone to diagnose the depression. Fortunately (?) I only really had 2 symptoms but that was enough. The extraordinary anxiety and loss of appetite/nausea are those. My doctor put me on meds that should kick in in about 3-5 days (versus 2-4 weeks for other drugs). Hopefully this gets me over the hump and I'll be back in the saddle soon.

Aaron has been extraordinary during this. He has let me go sleep whenever I needed to. He takes care of Duncan and makes sure I get something to eat. He checks on me and makes sure I know he's here for me. I am so blessed by my helpmate. I cannot express how much I love this man!!! (and now I'm sitting here typing & crying which is good because I also haven't been able to really emote for the past few days, either. Good sign!) I hope and pray that anyone else who goes through this has someone like Aaron. His support made calling the doctor easier.

It also helps me so much to know I have a wonderful support network. I know there are at least 20 people I could call who would come & watch Duncan if I needed them. I also know those same people would come over & do dishes, laundry, vacuum or whatever else was needed if I called. That truly means so much to me. You have made it possible for me to be strong enough to seek help. I love you all (though not as much as I love Aaron. He'll always be #1).

On to other things...

Tomorrow is Duncan's first pediatrician appointment. My first car trip as driver. It should be okay. I'm ready for this! Especially since I know I get to do it again on Friday when we go to my doctor appointment and visit the lactation consultant. That will be a busy day but hopefully I can time feedings so I have my happy baby and not the beast.

We're also coming up to the end of my moratorium on visitors. I want to thank everyone for staying away so Aaron & I could find our parenting feet. So after Thursday, it's okay to come visit. I need to reiterate a few things, though.

If you're not feeling well or have a member of your household who is ill, please don't come visit until you're sure no one is contagious.

There is hand sanitizer by the door or you can go to the kitchen and wash your hands. This isn't optional. Also, if you use your cell phone I'll pass you more hand sanitizer if you're going to hold Duncan. Cell phones are cesspools of germs. At least mine is so I'm projecting it to all of you.

Please call before you come visit. Just in case we're sleeping or it's just not a good time. On Friday, we'll be gone from about 1:45 or so until about 5.

Wellesley is closed. Your best bets are to come north on either Maple or Monroe and turn on Wabash. Come to Adams and huzzah!

Thanks for reading my random post today...it was actually quite therapeutic for me to write.


5 comments:

  1. Sweetie, this has been old big roller coaster ride, and it would be normal to feel how you feel without all the added worries to go along with it! I think you are amazing. And yes, thank goodness for Aaron! I hope the doctor appointment (and car ride) go well. And hang in there, and yes, I will come vacuum for you if you need me to (it won't be a good job, but it'll be done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever need to talk, get in touch. I've dealt with PPD after Mac's birth and I didn't get help for six months or so. I'm glad were able to seek help so quickly. I think having a child in the NICU makes the transition to parenthood so much more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle, good for you for getting help. I didn't have PPD, though I know many moms who did / do, but one thing I have struggled with as a mom is really living the truth that taking care of yourself is essential to taking care of your family. You're doing a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sign me up for whatever you need! You are doing an amazing job and have been through the wringer the last 5-6 weeks. So glad you recognized what may be going on and got some help. And yes, Thank God for Aaron. You and Duncan are lucky to have him and they are lucky to have you. Love you "sister", Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok - I'm back from the river and ready to help with whatever you need!! Glad you are getting some assistance and hope you are feeling better soon. Any cravings??? Let me know :)
    Love - Nancy

    ReplyDelete