Monday, July 12, 2010

News...:)


Awww!
I'm awake. What do you want to do??
(by the way - it took my Momma like 10 minutes to figure out how to get me out of this...)


Duncan is gaining an average of 20 grams a day or almost an ounce :) Which is good because we've had to increase the volume of milk he gets to make sure he continues to grow.

And boy does he suck it down!!! I told him last night that he's a little piggy and Aaron said, "Pigs at least stop to chew..." Which is true. My boy downs 65 ml in 20 minutes or less :)

The boy was still a hungry guy all day! He was awake from 6 am to 9 am - at 7:30 he was making hunger cues so the nurse fed him 40 ml and he scarfed it down then went to sleep. She also brought him in a swing so he got to hang out in that for a while. Which was really cute. Then he ate again around 10:15...and then he was OUT. Slept until 2:15 for a daddy feeding. Then he ate 85 ml. 85!!! Wow. The physical therapist, the nurse & the daddy were all quite impressed. Hopefully he stays asleep until 6 so we can get him back on a schedule. Hopefully LOL...

And now, for the news. HE'S COMING HOME!!!! We are so freaking excited I can't even describe it. Aaron talked with the doctor about the brady attacks and we're coming home with an apnea monitor. The doctor figures he'll have the attacks for another month or so & we all agreed that staying in the NICU for another month isn't a good plan, especially since we can bring him home on a monitor. So tonight I'm taking in the car seat. We'll have to "room in" since we need trained on the monitor and they want us there in case something happens or if we have questions. Depending on when the rooms are available, we'll room in Tuesday or Wednesday night and then bring him home Wednesday or Thursday. 5 weeks of NICU then he's home!!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!
I do, however, know that there is a possibility of set-back and am not counting my chickens until I have a boy in a car seat on the way home ;)

Sooo...once Duncan is cleared to come home, I need to set up some boundaries/rules/crazy Momma Bear stuff. For the first week, I'd like it if Aaron & I could have Duncan to ourselves. Even though we're at the hospital all the time, it's not the same as having him home. Not that we don't want visitors. I know some of you are dying to meet him and cuddle. Especially his cousin Thomas who isn't allowed to even come into the NICU because they have an age minimum. But after the first week or so, if you'd call first to make sure we're not sleeping or overly grumpy that would be great. I want to limit it to 2 or 3 visitors at a time so we don't overtire him. I'll also have a bottle of hand sanitizer by the door (and by the crib and near the sofa and...) for you to use when you walk in the door. The last thing I want is for Duncan to have to be re-admitted. Because he's so small and has been in hospital for so long his immune system might not be at 100% yet. So I'm going to be overly cautious until his pediatrician tells me to knock it off. Or Aaron threatens to divorce me. The doctor assured me that this type of precaution isn't crazy LOL.

When we go out, we have a Moby wrap (HUGE THANKS to my Squister :)) to put him in. People are significantly less likely to touch a baby that is attached to a Momma or Daddy with teeth than when the baby is in a stroller. Go figure.

I know, I'm probably being way over-protective. But after the past month, anyone who was in my shoes would probably do the same thing.

Whew! What a day!!!!

3 comments:

  1. You go Mama Bear!!!!!! Woo hoo! You tell me when I can come and I'll be there to see the boy again! Love you guys..."Auntie Jane"
    P.S. I LOVE hand sanitizer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Auntie Jane -- keep those germies away from your boy!

    So so happy for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news!!!! Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly and you get your littley guy home by mid-week. Don't worry, us Seattle folk won't drop by unannounced...(I do have some baby boy clothes I could send your way if you are interested. I also have a baby Bjorn carrier and a mei tei wrap which might work for you if you plan to "wear" him a lot) Let me know if you are interested and I'll get a package together. Lisa (Aaron's cousin, in case you don't know who I am:)

    ReplyDelete